Filing an Amazon Delivery Accident Claim
Amazon is responsible for delivering millions of packages to customers around the globe every day. It accomplishes this feat by employing more than 275,000 delivery drivers. With so many drivers on the road, the risk of accidents involving Amazon delivery vehicles is high. If you get injured in an accident involving an Amazon delivery driver, learn your rights and legal options with assistance from a New Mexico Amazon truck accident attorney.
Common Causes of Amazon Delivery Accidents
Becoming an Amazon delivery driver requires an applicant to pass a drug test, have a valid driver’s license, and become trained and certified. Despite these requirements, Amazon truck drivers are just like other motor vehicle operators. They are prone to making dangerous mistakes and errors, such as:
- Distracted driving
- Texting while driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Following too closely
- Failing to yield the right-of-way
- Running red lights and stop signs
- Driving while drowsy or fatigued
- Making unsafe lane changes
- Failing to check blind spots
Delivery drivers working for Amazon have a responsibility to obey traffic laws, avoid careless and reckless driving behaviors, and take reasonable care to prevent accidents. Driver errors create an unreasonable risk of harm to others on the road, including other drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians.
How to File a Claim Against an Amazon Delivery Driver in New Mexico
If you get injured in an accident involving an Amazon delivery vehicle, it is important to take certain steps to ensure your safety and protect your legal rights. Although each case is unique, filing a claim and pursuing compensation against an Amazon delivery driver generally involves the following steps:
- Get medical care. Call 911 to report the accident and request paramedics, if necessary. Get immediate treatment for any injuries and keep copies of your medical records.
- Document the accident. Exchange information with the delivery driver. Write down a description of the vehicle and its license plate number. Take photographs at the scene.
- Notify your insurance company. Call your own car insurance company to report the accident. Your company can provide guidance on how to proceed or contact Amazon for you to initiate a claim.
- Contact Amazon. Report an accident involving a delivery driver to Amazon using its customer service line. An Amazon representative may guide you through the process of filing a claim.
- File an insurance claim against the driver. Amazon provides its delivery drivers with up to $1 million in liability insurance coverage, which can pay for a victim’s medical bills and property damage.
- Seek legal advice. Do not accept a settlement from Amazon without consulting with an attorney. Your lawyer may be able to negotiate for a higher settlement value or take your case to trial, if necessary, to achieve a fair outcome.
If an Amazon delivery driver causes or contributes to a traffic accident that injures you or a loved one, start the financial recovery process by requesting a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer. These cases can be complex to navigate. Going up against a corporation as large and powerful as Amazon can be difficult without representation from an experienced attorney. Consult with an attorney at The Fine Law Firm for advice and information on how to file your claim.